:: Re: [Dng] Fwd: [dng] vdev status up…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Anto
À: Jude Nelson, dng@lists.dyne.org
Sujet: Re: [Dng] Fwd: [dng] vdev status update
On 17/04/15 06:00, Jude Nelson wrote:
> Hi Anto,
>
> I just committed preliminary support for using vdevd with devtmpfs.
>  vdevd should automatically detect whether or not devtmpfs is
> mounted on /dev, and nevertheless run device setup scripts (by using
> its own device metadata tree in /dev/vdev/ to see whether or not the
> device was actually processed).ÂÂ
>
> NB for developers:  this problem isn't specific to Linux--I expect
> to encounter it with FreeBSD as well, since it has a full-blown
> in-kernel devfs.  vdevd will keep track of "OS quirks" in the
> future--one of which is the "Device Already Exists" quirk, whereby
> vdevd simply expects the OS to provide the device file (regardless
> of the mechanism). The Linux-specific vdevd back-end now checks to
> see if vdevd will create files on a devtmpfs filesystem, and enables
> that quirk if so.
>
> Funny, undocumented (!!) discovery:  the devtmpfs filesystem type
> (see statfs(2)) is the same (!!) as the tmpfs filesystem type, despite
> being a fundamentally different filesystem. I'm surprised that
> this wasn't caught during the devtmpfs code review--guess I'll have to
> file a bug report. Anyway, if you find yourself wondering why vdev
> has to detect devtmpfs by parsing /proc/mounts and verifying that the
> realpath of the mountpoint is the same as or is a subdirectory of a
> devtmpfs mountpoint, that's why--we (currently) can't rely on the
> f_fsid in statfs(2) or statvfs(2).
>
> Thanks,
> Jude

Hello Jude,

After I pulled your commit from github.com, I have done the following:

1. compile and install vdev
2. copy vdev's initrd into /boot
3. rename /sbin/init to /sbin/init.novdev
4. copy vdev's init file into /sbin
5. manually set the vdev's initrd and init.vdev in grub.cfg
6. manually add /etc/init.d/vdev into runlevel.conf (and keep
/etc/init.d/udev)
     first, I tried to put vdev before udev, then the other way around
7. reboot my PC using vdev's initrd and init

There are some progress on the boot messages, but I still ended up on
(initramfs) prompt. As before, I can only use my keyboard using kernel
3.2.0, so I could capture the vdev_debugging that you asked before.
Please download that from
https://minifora.eu/public/devuan/vdev/vdev_debug_logs.tar.gz. That file
also contain the copy of /var/log/messages, but I just took the messages
since I started to keep rebooting my PC.

I think something still do not work properly on the vdev's init as I got
message saying "/sbin/init: 30: .: Can't open /conf/arch.conf" at boot
and when I did reboot as below.

root@hp8530w:~# reboot

Broadcast message from root@hp8530w (pts/1) (Fri Apr 17 18:28:56 2015):

The system is going down for reboot NOW!
mount: sysfs already mounted or /sys busy
mount: according to mtab, sysfs is already mounted on /sys
mount: proc already mounted
/sbin/init: 30: .: Can't open /conf/arch.conf
root@hp8530w:~#
root@hp8530w:~# reboot
WARNING: could not determine runlevel - doing soft reboot
(it's better to use shutdown instead of reboot from the command line)
mkdir: cannot create directory `/var/lock': File exists
mount: sysfs already mounted or /sys busy
mount: according to mtab, sysfs is already mounted on /sys
mount: proc already mounted
/sbin/init: 30: .: Can't open /conf/arch.conf
root@hp8530w:~#

I am still using file-rc instead of sysv-rc, but I didn't clean up
/etc/rc?.d directories. I tried to use sysv-rc, but my mouse and
keyboard are not being detected when using kernel 3.18.11. They are only
being detected on kernel 3.2.0 from wheezy repository. I think there is
something wrong with my kernel config but I will investigate that later.

Cheers,

Anto