著者: Anto
To: dng
題目: Re: [Dng] Purpose of systemd-shim
On 16/04/15 03:51, T.J. Duchene wrote:

> Heyo. Wanted to see how things are going.
>
> The main purpose of a systemd-shim is to allow code that depends on
> systemd to be compiled and execute cleanly, without having to actually
> introduce a binary dependency on systemd. Whether or not that is
> actually a laudable goal is the subject of much debate.
>
> From a user standpoint, it lets them use software that they might not
> otherwise have on Devuan.

Hello T.J.,

This is my personal opinion and I don't know what will happen to Devuan
even in the next 6 months or so.

I think your comment apply to all available software for Linux, so none
is available in Devuan at the moment. As far as I understood, the sort
term plan of Devuan is to cherry pick the most important Debian packages
containing anything linked to systemd and strip them up. I think after
the release of the initial Devuan version, along the time the "good to
have" packages from Debian will be stripped as well step by step. So in
the end, your comment is not valid any more as Devuan users can use all
available packages for Linux without systemd and anything related to
systemd.

I see no point for Devuan to provide any kind of shims so that the users
can use packages that depend on systemd component, as I can just use
Debian now. Let's see the progress next year whether that will really
happen or there will be no Devuan at all.

Cheers,

Anto