:: Re: [Dng] Too many man pages, too m…
Top Pagina
Auteur: T.J. Duchene
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [Dng] Too many man pages, too much complicated : systemd

[T.J. ] You already do have a registry.

It's called "gconf" and has been part of Gnome for the last decade. KDE
uses a MySQL database for many settings as well, so Gnome is not the only
culprit.

The basic idea of a database/registry is not a bad one. It is actually very
efficient for miscellaneous settings, or programming new features rapidly,
but the flip-side is that flat files are easier to fix if something goes
south. The idea of a registry gets a bad rap because of the poor way that
Microsoft implemented theirs with UUID codes that are hard to decipher, and
the fact that Microsoft never provided a tool to clean up the database to
prevent software rot. Fortunately, the Linux equivalents are user account
based rather than system wide and can easily be cloned, modified, or if
necessary dumped.

T.J.