:: Re: [Dng] Devuan's release date ?
Top Pagina
Auteur: KatolaZ
Aan: Arnt Gulbrandsen
CC: Devuan project
Onderwerp: Re: [Dng] Devuan's release date ?
On Sun, Apr 05, 2015 at 02:57:55PM +0000, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:
> Is the prealpha installable using documentation, or is this a case
> of curl|sh? I have a laptop waiting.

I usually understand Alpha as "we warn you it will contain bugs and
should not be used in pruduction, so just blame yourself if you loose
the last pics from your grandma's birthday", Beta as "usable but still
not fot mission-critical stuff" and Stable as "it is free of known
bugs or issues". In this case, a pre-Alpha of Devuan has been out for
a while, as someone else pointed out, and pre-Alpha is something that
is not even deemed to be close to the Alpha stage, so if you have in
mind something usable I'd better suggest your laptop to keep waiting
:)

I admit that in the last years several distributions (and vendors)
have messed up quite a lot with these once well-understood concepts,
releasing as stable stuff that would rationally be considered barely
alpha, but I really would like Devuan to refrain from such a pervasive
release-madness.

I believe that, after all, what we will get will not look so much
different from a Debian Jessie, if not for the lack of the
systemd-nonsense and of a few ancillary things most of the users will
barely notice. Nothing that is going to change anyone's everyday
life. Or at least I really hope so... ;)

My2Cents

KatolaZ

--
[ Enzo Nicosia aka KatolaZ --- GLUG Catania -- Freaknet Medialab ]
[ me [at] katolaz.homeunix.net -- http://katolaz.homeunix.net -- ]