:: Re: [Dng] Another reason of why I a…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Hendrik Boom
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [Dng] Another reason of why I am considering Devuan
On Sat, Apr 04, 2015 at 08:27:00AM +0100, KatolaZ wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 03, 2015 at 10:33:28AM -0400, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>
> [cut]
>

> > If I recall correctly, so far *every* Linux I've used uses an external
> > DNS by default instead of installing its own recursor.
> >
> > I figure there must be a reason, but I don't know what it is.
> >

> That's wrong, AFAIK. If you do not configure a DNS for your linux box
> (e.g. by specifying a nameserver in resolv.conf) you won't have any
> name resolution. In some cases "Configuring a DNS" may also mean
> "obtaining your IP via DHCP", since "usually" (but not *always*) a
> DHCP reply might contain the IP of a local nameserver.
>
> Or at least this was the default in Debian and in many other
> distributions, before the systemd-nonsense takeover.

OK. Maybe I misspoke. The installer would ask me to choose an
external DNS. It would not take the initiative of offering me to
install my own on my own machine.

Of course II always did have the option of tracking down the right
packages, installing, and configuring them, but that's a fair amount of
effort, and not what I prehaps miscalled 'default'. Something that an
ordinary user is likely to do unless he has a domain of his own to
define.

-- hendrik