:: Re: [Dng] What do you guys think ab…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Anto
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [Dng] What do you guys think about "Suggest" and "Recommends" dependency?

On 04/04/15 09:40, Joel Roth wrote:
> Note that for a minimal dependencies default, the options to
> apt-get are not ideal. We have these two options related to
> the dependency graph.
>
>         --no-install-recommends
>             Do not consider recommended packages as a dependency for installing.
>             Configuration Item: APT::Install-Recommends.

>         --install-suggests
>             Consider suggested packages as a dependency for installing.
>             Configuration Item: APT::Install-Suggests.

> Looks like we need to add this:
>
>         --install-recommends
>             Consider recommended packages as a dependency for installing.
>             Configuration Item: APT::Install-Recommends.

> cheers,
>
> Joel

Hello Joel,

As others, I prefer to have control over the packages that I am
installing, so apt-get only pulls the necessary packages related to the
one I am installing instead of pulling everything else which I don't need.

For desktops, as I mentioned previously, I have to be more careful in
installing packages without the "Recommended" and "Suggested" packages
(my default setting). I usually take a note on the list of "Recommended"
and "Suggested" packages. If something didn't work properly, I install
the "Recommended" packages first from the list. If that still didn't
work, I install "Suggested" packages. If that also didn't work, I purge
all of those packages and search for other alternatives :)

Cheers,

Anto