:: Re: [Dng] What about pulseaudio, av…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Didier Kryn
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [Dng] What about pulseaudio, avahi, ... ?

Le 02/04/2015 23:51, Chris Kalin a écrit :
> Avahi going away, or at least not being a requirement for CUPS, would be nice. (Or a cups-noavahi). I'm running a corporate network with statically defined printers, I don't need or want my print server trying to autodetect anything.

     Cups is a pretty confuse thing. It provides a "client" and a
"server". If you only install the client, then you are bound to only one
server, configured statically, fine for a desktop with no printer
attached. This is not convenient on a laptop. For roaming, you need the
"server". I don't know how to qualify this contraption since the cups
server is also a client and a much better client than their "client".
Used as a client, the cups "server" allows roaming.

     This Cups "server" is very badly configured by default, in
particular on Mac and on Debian as well: browsing all available servers
for printers and exporting these away. This leads to print jobs
circulating across laptops before reaching the printer. The first thing
the admin should do is to decide which host is a server and which is a
client, and not let any host be both.

     The cups stations used as clients should be configured with a list
of possible servers, like one at work and one at home. Using automatic
discovery would be fine if one could assume that servers are only
servers and clients are only clients, but Cups authors apparently
decided to mess up everything.

     Didier