:: Re: [Dng] What about pulseaudio, av…
Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Joel Roth
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: dng
Uudet otsikot: [Dng] What do you guys think about "Suggest" and "Recommends" dependency?
Aihe: Re: [Dng] What about pulseaudio, avahi, ... ?
On Thu, Apr 02, 2015 at 07:28:27PM +0200, Stephan Seitz wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 02, 2015 at 07:15:38AM -1000, Joel Roth wrote:
> >On my system, reverse depends for pulseaudio shows such
> >packages as mpg123, which shouldn't have an opinion about
>
> But mpg123 neither depends on nor recommends pulseaudio. It only suggests
> pulseaudio together with jackd, alsa-utils and other packages.

Yes that is only a "suggests" relationship, so not a
good example. Funny tho, it shows up as a reverse depends
listed by apt-cache showpkg.

initramfs-tools-tcos, OTOH, recommends pulseaudio.
I think we may have had a discussion about whether
recommended packages should pulled in by default.

I remember there are options for installing dependencies
only, installing dependences plus recommended packages, and
installing dependencies with recommended and suggested
packages.

As a process, I would like to install the minimum
dependencies by default, and then if I don't get all the
features I need, have options to add in the recommended and
suggested packages.

I think it might be helpful to document or prompt
the user to set whether recommended package should be
installed.

Or punt, and leave it to more advanced user to figure out.

Somehow the politics of pulling in recommends seems to
overlap with the issue of the web of dependencies
spread by systemd.

Cheers,

Joel