:: Re: [Dng] Devuan philosohy
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Jaromil
A: Hendrik Boom
Cc: dng
Asunto: Re: [Dng] Devuan philosohy
On Tue, 31 Mar 2015, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 11:16:02AM +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> >
> > [1] [systemd-devel] I wonder… why systemd provokes this amount of polarity
> > and resistance:
> >
> > http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2014-September/thread.html
>
> The discussion here contains a quotation about the Unix philosophy (in
> an attempt to explain how systemd follows it). I find it summmarises
> well the way Devuan believes a Linux system should be organised:
>

> 1. Write simple parts connected by clean interfaces.
> 2. Clarity is better than cleverness.
> 3. Design programs to be connected to other programs.
> 4. Separate policy from mechanism; separate interfaces from engines.
> 5. Design for simplicity; add complexity only where you must.
> 6. Write a big program only when it is clear by demonstration that
> nothing else will do.
> 7. Rule of Transparency: Design for visibility to make inspection and
> debugging easier.
> 8. Robustness is the child of transparency and simplicity.
> 9. Fold knowledge into data so program logic can be stupid and robust.
> 10. In interface design, always do the least surprising thing.
> 11. When a program has nothing surprising to say, it should say
> nothing.
> 12. When you must fail, fail noisily and as soon as possible.
> 13. Programmer time is expensive; conserve it in preference to machine
> time.
> 14. Avoid hand-hacking; write programs to write programs when you can.
> 15. Prototype before polishing. Get it working before you optimize it.
> 16. Distrust all claims for “one true way”.
> 17. Design for the future, because it will be here sooner than you
> think.
>
> (see
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2014-September/023294.html
> for the actual post)

thanks for extracting this summary.

IMHO Martin makes good points by opening this thread. Beyond the jokes
and the fact is 1st of April in New Zealand already :^) we may want to
facilitate a "disarmament" process of the two factions.

Nevertheless I find pretty offensive episodes like the one at Libre
Planet where a Peter gets publicly alienated as troll for asking a
question about systemd, it just feels like we are fighting an asymmetric
war against a leading group that seized all resources and will not drop
its weapons while playing victim. Beyond all their good intentions I
believe they still want us all "dead".

Also the final argument of this mail you link is disgusting considering
the vote they keep waving is a 4v4 Condorcet draw and it should have
been pondered with some more attention or at least not waved as the
final resolution that sends all others to Hell.

Ultimately we are lucky as it looks like Hell is a much better place
than we thought initially, at least there is much more activity and
space for innovation than in Heaven

ciao