:: Re: [Dng] This has GOT to be an Apr…
Kezdőlap
Szerző: devuan.kn
Dátum:
Címzett: dng
Tárgy: Re: [Dng] This has GOT to be an April Fools joke
On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 8:51 AM, KatolaZ - katolaz@???
<devuan.kn.d697226fdf.katolaz#freaknet.org@???> wrote:
> Again. such a binary blob cannot be the Linux kernel with some
> patches, thanks to the fact that Linux is under GPLv2, so any modified
> version of it has to be released with the same license, which implies
> that any user should be able to use, distribute, modify and
> redistribute the software she receives under that license.

Yes, you can get the source, build and redistribute it. But without
the proper key you may not be able to sign it in such a way that your
system will boot that kernel. Tivo did that, spurring the FSF into
action to create GPLv3 to fix that.

Linus rejected that fix though, which is why the kernel is using GPLv2.

Note that secure boot allows you to set your own trusted keys, so you
are fine with that technology for now.

> This is something for which we should definitely thank RMS and (a
> probably not so freedom-conscious) Linus Torvalds :)

Praise for both is always appropriate:-)

BR
Karl