:: Re: [Dng] Why daemontools is so coo…
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Jude Nelson
A: devuan.kn
Cc: dng@lists.dyne.org
Asunto: Re: [Dng] Why daemontools is so cool
> If you need to generically support a wide range of setups and include
> the fun stuff listed above into the mix, then your init system will
> need to do a lot more than what is necessary to bring up one
> individual system. Debian did run all of the above during its boot
> sequence (if the package was installed), just in case somebody
> actually went ahead and used it.

Except that it doesn't. Debian will only do the "extra fun stuff" if it's
installed and usable. Go read the init scripts in /etc/rcS.d if you don't
believe me.

> Dependencies enable you to have a robust boot sequence even with
> hardware like this.

No. No they do not. Let me say it again: if the device with your root
filesystem is unavailable, the boot process *will* wait for it to become
available. There is no alternative, besides panicking. There is no
parallelization before root gets mounted, because nothing else *can* start.

> If you want to support a wide range of combinations of all the goodies
> Linux comes with, incl. software raid, logical volume management, disk
> encryption and any combination thereof, then you can not do so in a
> generic way using a strictly sequential init system. You can configure
> all of these for each individual system, but you can not have generic
> support for all of them in any valid combination in your distribution.

First, the extra packages are not used unless you install them, and will
only get invoked if they are needed. Second, Debian has initialized them
all sequentially, in the right order, without fail for the better part of
its existence. In fact, if you go look at Debian bug tracker, the
introduction of init script parallelization strategies have lead to
hard-to-reproduce boot bugs due to race conditions.

> You will also need to introduce timeouts (which are either too short
> or too long, depending on the system) into each and every step along
> the way.

What are you talking about?

root@t510:/home/jude# runlevel
N 2
root@t510:/home/jude# fgrep -r "sleep" /etc/rc2.d /etc/rcS.d
root@t510:/home/jude#

You do *not* need timeouts to boot the system sequentially.

> My point is "A init system should be robust to work with any valid
> configuration I can put the system in" and I understand your reply to
> be "Complexity makes programs less robust". I agree with both
> statement and see no contradiction whatsoever.

Um, no. That has *never*, *EVER* been the case. If you break something,
it stays broken until you fix it. The OS does exactly what you tell it to
do, as it should. It's not the OS's responsibility to clean up your
mistakes if you put it into a state where it can't boot.

> A strictly sequential boot is not able to do that in a generic way.
> You can configure *your* system to do that by tweaking the sequence,
> but it is impossible for a distribution to ship a sequential init
> system that can robustly set up any filesystem that you can mount
> manually.

Then how, pray tell, has Debian been able to boot sequentially all these
years, with all these features?

Okay. I hate that it's come to this, but at this point in reading your
reply I can no longer tell whether or not you're a troll. You talk about
the low-level details of userspace like you think you understand it, but
it's pretty clear that you do not (or, you do a very bad job at
communicating it). Either way, this thread has gone wildly off-topic, so I
will no longer reply to it.

-Jude