:: Re: [Dng] Why daemontools is so coo…
Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Jude Nelson
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: devuan.kn
Kopio: dng@lists.dyne.org
Aihe: Re: [Dng] Why daemontools is so cool
> The problem there is that a consecutive boot system needs to probe for
> hardware and give that hardware time to show up, blocking the boot
> process in the meantime.

The only hardware detection during boot that *needs* to block is mounting
the root device. Boot cannot proceed without that. To do so, the kernel
needs to have a driver for the device--either loaded into it by the
initramfs (the loading and execution of which takes time), or compiled in
directly.

The remaining driver-loading does not run as part of the boot sequence.
Only the modules needed to bring the system up get loaded (i.e. the modules
in /etc/modprobe.d). Once root and the other filesystems are mounted, you
should be able to start programs up in whatever order regardless of the
state of the hardware. Individual programs like ntpd should be smart
enough to wait until the required hardware is available and configured,
such as network interfaces (either on their own, or with the help of a
supervisor).

If your boot sequence is taking too long because it's loading unnecessary
drivers, then your boot sequence is misconfigured.

> And some hardware can take a very
> long time to register, so you need to be generous with those
> time-outs. On the other hand anybody without the hardware will stuck
> for the entire timeout, so you need to keep them as short as possible.

If your hardware is taking a long time to spin up, it's due to bug in
either the hardware or its driver, not the boot sequence.

Again, if you're talking about waiting for the device with your root
filesystem, the boot process is *supposed* to block until it's ready. Boot
cannot proceed until the root device is found and mounted; otherwise you
obviously cannot load programs. This process cannot be sped up through
parallelization (Amdahl's Law and all that). Same goes for programs that
cannot be started until /usr is mounted (if you have a separate /usr).

> A parallel boot system can just start all hardware probes at the same
> time, be very generic with the timeouts and just continue as soon as
> the necessary hardware showed up.

Hardware detection happens in the kernel, and the kernel does detect
hardware in parallel. That's one of the reasons why you get to deal with
disk and interface names changing between boots.

"Just continuing as soon as the necessary hardware shows up" is already
what happens, like I said above. Also, it's useless to run more instances
of insmod(8) than you have CPU cores. It can be dangerous to run even two
insmod(8)'s in parallel, since last I checked [1], setting up a kernel
module is not an atomic operation. Run multiple insmod(8)'s at your own
risk--you may expose race conditions that crash your system or render your
hardware unusable without a reboot.

> The killer argument for parallel startup with dependency handling is
> robustness, not speed.

No, the opposite is true. Programs with multiple instances of execution
(processes, threads, coroutines) in practice tend to be much more
error-prone, because they are much harder to reason about. This is because
the number of states such a program can be in increases with the
*factorial* of the number of instances of execution it has. This is such a
problem that determinism is often a design requirement for mission-critical
software whose failure will result in huge costs and/or loss of life.

> Maybe it is my tendency to mess around with cryptsetup and co. that
> gets me into trouble, but I did have unbootable systems with sysv-init
> due to "unexpected setup" problems. Nothing I could not fix, but still
> an annoyance that I would be happy to get rid of.

Parallel boot won't fix misconfigurations you introduced by messing around
with it.

> The whole consecutive boot thing hinges on timeouts and that is
> neither generic nor robust.

The boot sequence does *not* hinge on timeouts. If anything, timeouts are
a fallback mechanism for working around other programs not making forward
progress (i.e. due to bugs, a down network, or faulty hardware). If your
boot sequence is encountering timeouts, then something's wrong with your
boot sequence.

-Jude

[1] http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1502.2/01852.html