:: Re: [Dng] This has GOT to be an Apr…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Steve Litt
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [Dng] This has GOT to be an April Fools joke
On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 06:25:27 -0500
Nate Bargmann <n0nb@???> wrote:

> Is this really happening?
>
> > Now it appears as though the systemd developers have found a
> > solution to kernel compatibility problems and a way to extend their
> > philosophy of placing all key operating system components in one
> > repository. According to Ivan Gotyaovich, one of the developers
> > working on systemd, the project intends to maintain its own fork of
> > the Linux kernel. "There are problems, problems in collaboration,
> > problems with compatibility across versions. Forking the kernel
> > gives us control over these issues, gives us control over almost
> > all key parts of the stack."
>
> http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20150330#community
>
> Our proximity to April 1 makes me wonder, but still...
>
> While there are several quotes in the article from one Ivan
> Gotyaovich, I don't see any links to said quotes which leaves me a
> bit skeptical of the veracity of the article. However, the link to
> GitHub looks very much like a kernel source tree, but I'm not certain
> that it is an official repository.
>
> Before anyone takes this too seriously a bit more research needs to be
> done as we are very close to the date that an elaborate ruse is
> plausible, at least for us in the USA.
>
> - Nate

ROFLMAO,

Here's the problem, Nate. With any other software vendor, we'd
instantly and doubtlessly assume it an April Fools Joke. But this is
systemd we're talking about, and the first time I heard that it had a 2
way link to Gnome I thought "This must be an April Fools Joke", but it
wasn't. Whether now or later, I fully expect the systemd guys to make
their own kernel, and do it with a non-copyleft license.

Interestingly, I was referring to systemd as having an "April Fools Joke
Architecture" in December 2014:

http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/init/manjaro_experiments.htm#manjaro_experiments_pre20141217

See the third non-numbered paragraph.

SteveT