:: Re: [Dng] Why daemontools is so coo…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: marc
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [Dng] Why daemontools is so cool
> No need to mix doubleforking and PID tracking on your
> program. That should be the duty of whatever daemonizes and manages
> your program. You know, like Daemontools or s6.

So there is a very good reason for a deamon to handle its
own backgrounding: The sensible convention is it that it
should only background at the instant where it is ready to
service requests: If there is a long initialisation phase
it should stay in the foreground - so that things that
depend on it in turn do not get started too soon. A more
detailed description of this problem I wrote up a while ago
at welz.org.za/notes/on-starting-daemons.html.

More fundamentally: If an application has problems calling the
a daemonize() or fork_parent() function or the handful of system
calls that make up this, then maybe this a limitation of the
development environment or language - if calling these this is regarded
to be hard then one wonders how reliable the rest of the program is.

regards

marc