:: Re: [Dng] Why daemontools is so coo…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: poitr pogo
A: Martijn Dekkers
CC: dng
Assumpte: Re: [Dng] Why daemontools is so cool
On Sat, Mar 28, 2015 at 6:59 PM, Martijn Dekkers
<devuan-list1@???> wrote:

(...)

>> They help to run as a unix daemon a program which is not written to be
>> a unix daemon.
>
> No, sorry, you are wrong. They are supervisors, and as such they ensure any
> long-running job keeps running when it is supposed to.

No. They ensure the job will be started again if it stops for some reason.

:)
demons vs long running jobs.
programs designed and written to run in background vs those logging
to stdout/stderr, but customer/business requires them to run in
endless loop

if we had time/money/knowledge we would make them proper daemons but
we did not have.

The product is not best quality but let's wrap it in a
beautiful,colorful,professionally looking piece of paper :)

>> S6 even forces such a program must not handle daemon mode itself.
>>     That process must not "background itself": being run by a
>> supervision tree already makes it a "background" task.

> You say this like it is a bad thing.

naming myself an init replacement i am not supporting all old standard
unix daemons.... :)
it's not bad, it's funny