:: Re: [Dng] Devuan commitments - will…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Hendrik Boom
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [Dng] Devuan commitments - will trade-off be applied?
On Sat, Mar 28, 2015 at 12:33:34PM +0100, Didier Kryn wrote:

> Le 28/03/2015 05:53, John Morris a écrit :

> >Trying to take the high moral ground and claim to be shooting for a
> >stricter freedom is what leads to RMS and Debian unable to agree on
> >which is the more 'Free.'  Debian rejecting the FSF's GNU FDL and RMS
> >rejecting the easy availability of the non-free repos, blobs, etc. and
> >all of the eyerolling that entails amongst us normal folk outside the
> >priesthood.
>     As I said, I won't fight for words. I don't know what moral has
> to do here though. I know GNU does not consider Debian free... who
> cares?

The very strict FSF interpretation is a useful extreme -- much like
the North Pole is for the idea of north, and absolute zero is for the
idea of cold. Now north is useful n our compasses, and cold is great
for beer (free or not), but few of us would want to spend our entire
lives at absolute zero or the north pole.

> >We haven't needed to run every user program in a hardened jail and a
> >good argument can be made that the primary reason to do so is because
> >you want to let in a lot of untrustworthy software that should be run in
> >a secure container.  See Android/Linux for what sort of dystopia the
> >worst case scenario looks like.
>     BTW, I, like many others, find convenient to use e.g. Skype, and
> I would prefer to run it inside a container.

There's software I would definitely prefer to run in a container.

There's software I would definitely like to run out of container.

It would be nice to have a choice. That is what android does not
provide.

-- hendrik