:: Re: [Dng] Devuan commitments - will…
Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Jude Nelson
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: John Morris
Υ/ο: dng
Αντικείμενο: Re: [Dng] Devuan commitments - will trade-off be applied?
Hi John,

I think the general consensus right now is that Devuan prioritizes the
inclusion of Free Software that adheres to the Unix software design
philosophy. Like Debian, Devuan strives to be a Universal Operating System
by giving users as much freedom as possible in the choice of what software
they run. However, when two or more competing programs cannot be run at
the same time (such as init), Devuan dedicates its energies to supporting
the one that most strongly adheres to the Unix software design philosophy
(design goal 1 you had above). In other words, Devuan tries to include
everything Debian does and more, and a program's "Unixy-ness" is only
relevant when it comes to resolving conflicts between them.

I took a stab at stating what "Unix software design philosophy" means
earlier up the thread, but I'll reproduce it here for your convenience:

"""
0. A program is a file that contains executable data (e.g. a binary, a
script, or a library).
1. Each program has a single well-defined responsibility.
2. If two programs have orthogonal responsibilities, then they are
logically independent of one another's implementation (i.e. programs with
orthogonal responsibilities are not coupled to each other's
implementations).
3. Functionality encompassing multiple responsibilities is obtained by
composing two or more programs (such as through piping, I/O redirection,
dynamic linking, and so on).
"""

I think it's clear that under the most charitable interpretation of the
above principles, systemd does not meet criterion 2. The programs it
replaces, however, meet all four principles. Therefore, Devuan prioritizes
supporting sysvinit, cron, syslog, ifupdown, dhcpd, etc. over systemd.

-Jude