:: Re: [Dng] FW: Devuan commitments - …
Top Pagina
Auteur: Jude Nelson
Aan: T.J. Duchene
CC: dng@lists.dyne.org
Onderwerp: Re: [Dng] FW: Devuan commitments - will trade-off be applied?
Hi T.J.,

> *While I am not commenting as to their ultimate aims, which OVERALL are

actually quite admirable and agnostic, it is still less than desirable that
a key technology: KMS IS part of the*
*> initial implementation, which in turn becomes the "reference
implementation" for all practical purposes. KMS as a software is Linux
specific. While there are equivalents out there, they*
*> are certainly less developed. When I criticize Wayland, it is over
concern that Linux-isms have worked their way into the final version of the
stack, making it less portable to systems not*
*> using Linux KMS. I think you can agree that that concern is not
entirely unjustified, given that a number of supposedly platform agnostic
software projects have Linux peculiarities in *
*> their code that make them difficult to port to other UNIXes. *

I don't think I follow. KMS is a generic OS design concept, in the same
way that "memory paging" and "preemptive multi-tasking" are generic OS
design concepts. Each OS that does video mode setting in the kernel has
its own API and implementation for doing so. Maybe one day POSIX will
specify a consistent API that OS developers could implement, but that day
is a long way off.

The BSDs are on-board with not only adding KMS, but also GEM. Both are
much simpler to implement and reason about than trying to get DRM and user
mode-setting to cooperate with X while getting decent performance and good
security. Here's a good perspective from the OpenBSD journal in 2008 on
the subject, for example:
http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20081029164221

-Jude