From: T.J. Duchene [mailto:t.j.duchene@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, March 22, 2015 2:25 AM
To: dng@???
Subject: Re: Dng Digest, Vol 6, Issue 75

Hey Steve!

"Do you understand what mailing list this is?"

Yes. I do. I didn't start the discussion. I actually recommended tabling it until after Devuan is released.

"Why in the *world* would we go to the substantial trouble of depoetterizing Debian if we wanted systemd to sneak back in via some form of API."

What I said was at some point Devuan will probably have to support systemd's API, in order to support upstream projects that actually require systemd.

"The majority of users having systemd, no, the majority of users have
Windows, and that doesn't tempt me to make the OS I work with everyday
more Windows like. "Most users" don't cut no ice in LinuxLand."

I can't tell if you are being facetious, or not. I don't know you well. Obviously, if we are discussing Devuan, then clearly we are not talking about Windows users. The majority of Linux users DO use systemd, if only by default, because almost all distributions do so.

"Why you want Devuan to have any accommodation for systemd is a mystery to me."

Having established that a majority of Linux users are using systemd, I think it is likely that at least some upstream projects are going to use whatever is most convenient for the majority. It doesn't have to be technically stellar or even an intelligent choice. Devuan could always eject the software from the distribution or fork their own version, but at what point is Devuan going to be unable to keep up? I can't say for sure or even if it would happen. What I can say for sure is that trapping the systemd API would save a lot of work forking software.

I don't consider saving time and effort unreasonable. but what I think doesn't matter. Draw your own conclusions.

"Hey T.J., you're not in ArmstrongLand anymore: "

I'm sorry, I do not understand the reference. Please explain.

Thanks!

T.J.