:: Re: [Dng] Dng Digest, Vol 6, Issue …
Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Nuno Magalhães
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: dng@lists.dyne.org
Uudet otsikot: Re: [Dng] API: was (for who knows what reason): Dng Digest, Vol 6, Issue 75
Aihe: Re: [Dng] Dng Digest, Vol 6, Issue 75
On Sun, Mar 22, 2015 at 7:24 AM, T.J. Duchene <t.j.duchene@???> wrote:
> What I said was at some point Devuan will probably have to support systemd's
> API, in order to support upstream projects that actually require systemd.

Why?

Biggest example: GNOME (now) requires systemd. I don't want systemd,
so, i won't use GNOME. If i want either, i'll use Debian, not Devuan.

I don't understand this sheeple need to do what everybody else does,
indded it's redmondesque. If you want that, go use another distro,
there are hundreds out there who are doing what everybody else does.
Use Ubuntu, it's fashionable and Debian-like.

This particular distro, at least it seems to me, was born to *avoid*
lock-ins like systemd. Or stuff that depends on lock-ins like systemd,
which makes it [the dependant stuff] locked-in as well. Call it
another kind of GPL thing if you will, systemd is becoming a UNIX™.
Back then, GNU came along and created free versions (minus the
kernel); nowaways, there's systemd™, and here's Devuan.

So far the most sensible approach of established distros, to me, has
been that of gentoo (which i'm currently exploring): they use OpenRC
by default, but you're free to use systemd _if_ you want[1]. *That* is
freedom of choice and i sincerely hope they won't succumb to the
pressure. Since Debian didn't go that way (a sad surprise considering
what i thought Debian was), here's Devuan.
(I'm not considering Slackware at the moment 'cos Mr Volkerding hasn't
been specific, he's wait-and-see-ing apparently.)

Devuan's not at established distro and the purpose has been, from the
beginning, to avoid lock-ins. You're free to package upstart or some
other non-intrusive init system for Devuan, i'm sure the VUA won't
mind, and then there'll be the choice between two "unlocked" init
systems (implicitly calling systemd an init system is an
understatement). But i don't see systemd in the Devuan universe -
that'll completely defeat the purpose. Will avoiding systemd cause
more work? Definitely. But what's the rush? Release when ready.

My 0.02

Cheers,
Nuno

[1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Base#Optional:_Using_systemd