:: Re: [Dng] rumors on RMS about syste…
Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Steve Litt
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: dng
Αντικείμενο: Re: [Dng] rumors on RMS about systemd at libreplanet
On Sun, 22 Mar 2015 06:36:37 +0800
Robert Storey <robert.storey@???> wrote:

> Hopefully, it's just a rumor, though it sounds real.
>
> Indeed, I've been wondering why RMS hasn't commented on systemd long
> ago when it became obvious that it would effectively dump his beloved
> Hurd project into the trash can. If he really called someone a
> "troll" for asking his opinion of systemd, then my feeling about RMS
> has gone down a couple of notches.
>
> Well, RMS doesn't do anymore development work as far as I know, so
> maybe his opinion doesn't matter. Still, as a well-known time-honored
> spokesperson for "free software" (I know he doesn't want us calling it
> "open source") I would have expected better. Pity.
>
> cheers,
> Robert

Whoaaaaa, everyone's blowing this up waaaaay out of proportion.

Stallman's first, second, third, through a hundred and nineteenth
priorities are Free Software as defined by the four freedoms. So of
course he doesn't have an opinion on systemd's construction or
politics. So when questioned about systemd, he said it's free software,
and we can make up our own minds. That's just a stone fact, and is
far from calling us trolls.

Then some typical systemd sycophant characterized the question
characterized Stallman's answer as "brilliantly blocking a systemd
troll". Not Stallman's fault.

As far as Hurd, I'm not surprised. Stallman's not in love with the
Linux kernel, and I doubt that he cares whether systemd is runnable in
Hurd. And as far as this excluding Hurd from "the new Debian", he's
probably as contemptuous of the Debian community as I am.

Guys, this whole thing is no big deal.

SteveT