:: Re: [Dng] Devuan commitments - will…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Jude Nelson
A: Steve Litt
CC: dng@lists.dyne.org
Assumpte: Re: [Dng] Devuan commitments - will trade-off be applied?
I think what we're after is a way to accept/reject software based on a
well-defined set of acceptance criteria. It sounds like we're trying to
say that the mission statement of Devuan is something like "Devuan
prioritizes the inclusion of Free Software that follows the Unix software
design philosophy," where "Unix software design philosophy" minimally means:
0. A program is a file that contains executable data (e.g. a binary, a
script, or a library).
1. Each program has a single well-defined responsibility.
2. If two programs have orthogonal responsibilities, then they are
logically independent of one another's implementation (i.e. programs with
orthogonal responsibilities are not coupled to each other's
implementations).
3. Functionality encompassing multiple responsibilities is obtained by
composing two or more programs (such as through piping, I/O redirection,
dynamic linking, and so on).

By expressing our social desire to preserve the freedom of choice as a set
of technical software design points, we'll have an unambiguous way of
prioritizing programs for inclusion. For example, we can say "systemd does
not meet criterion #2, whereas the programs it replaces do; thus we will
not prioritize its inclusion over them."

-Jude