著者: Lars Noodén
To: dng
題目: Re: [Dng] rumors on RMS about systemd at libreplanet
On 21.03.2015 18:51, Linuxito wrote:
> Great reading. I knew RMS would answer something like that to that
> question, if it's licensed under GPL, it's free software, period.

( Actually it's LGPL [1] but ... )

I expect that he is thinking about it and will be thinking about it a
while longer before he comes up with a formal position on this
particular piece of nastiness. On the issues of "tivoization" and
proprietary javascript he was able to come up with something. Here the
situation is not much different, but the method being (ab)used is
obfuscation. The code base is so overwhelmingly massive, convoluted,
uncommented, and undocumented that it is very effectively obfuscated and
closed. For all the other bad things that systemd does, it violates the
spirit of the GPL on two levels: freedom 0 and freedom 1.

- the hard dependencies prevent programs from being run as one wishes
- the obfuscated code prevents studying and changing, for nearly all

Regards,
/Lars

[1] http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/