Til: dng
Emne: Re: [Dng] Devuan commitments - will trade-off be applied?
On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 21:43:46 +0100
Anto <aryanto@???> wrote:

> On 20/03/15 21:08, Steve Litt wrote:
> > Anto,
> >
> > You're absolutely right. So let me modify my idea...
> >
> > If anybody *chooses* to integrate an app with any direct or indirect
> > systemd dependencies, that person must put their package in the
> > "contaminated" or "quarantine" repository, and that person is
> > responsible for all its systemd dependent packages, which must also
> > reside in the quarantine repository. Absolutely no systemd dependent
> > code should reside in the main repository, unless it's a temporary
> > thing until we make the alternative.
>
> Hello Steve,
>
> Wouldn't it be easier, efficient and less head ache for that person
> to use Debian or other distros, rather than trying to integrate the
> apps and maintain them in Devuan then gets bombarded with swearing
> and rejections from Devuan developers and users?

Maybe.

If you can't live without just the right transparency and just the
right colors and just the right drag and drop action, yeah, you're
better off with a Red Hat compliant distro like Debian.

But I think any one of us can see ourselves loving exactly what Debian
is, but absolutely needing that one app that runs his/her business. In
that case, if the dependency is mild and contained, one might find
himeself willing to maintain that app and the one small dependency.

That being said, perhaps a better idea is a container or a VM. But I
can see certain edge cases where a person might want to maintain such a
software, and as long as he knows he's on his own, fine.

SteveT