:: Re: [Dng] vdev status updates
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Jude Nelson
A: Steve Litt
CC: dng@lists.dyne.org
Assumpte: Re: [Dng] vdev status updates
Hi Steve,

> Several months ago I did a proof of concept shellscript using
> inotifywait, which detected USB thumb drive insertion and removal. It
> worked just fine, and if I'd wanted to spend more than 30 minutes, a
> combination of tweaking sudoers and writing a few shellscripts could
> have given instant mounting of thumb drives (and probably DVDs).

That's basically what vdevd-user would do. The only difference between
using inotifywait is that the user would be able to transfer his/her
knowledge of setting up vdevd to setting up vdevd-user (since they use the
same config file format). Of course, the choice is entirely the
user's--vdevd-user would be only one of many approaches to running
unprivileged code in response to a device appearing or disappearing :)

> I understand that FreeBSD has kqueue and kevent, which apparently do
> some of the same things. According to
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kqueue , it's available in all the major
> BSDs. So your idea sounds doable, always assuming you can make a high
> level interface that calls either inotify or kqueue.

It's already done by libkqueue: https://github.com/mheily/libkqueue.
vdevd-user would just link against libkqueue.

-Jude