:: [Dng] Systemd: it depends -- was R…
Inizio della pagina
Autore: hellekin
To: dng
Vecchi argomenti: Re: [Dng] release date
Oggetto: [Dng] Systemd: it depends -- was Re: release date
On 03/17/15 18:57, Anto wrote:

> I asked the questions whether Devuan will be really free from systemd
> and its components? Or will there be trade-off being applied so that
> some of systemd components will be used in Devuan?

*** I'm merely repeating what's been said before, and I'm not ointed by
the VUA, so don't take my word for theirs...

The goal of Devuan is to produce a distro in the continuity with Debian
Wheezy, based on Jessie, but without any of the systemd cruft being
mandatory. The first step is to enable Jessie to run without systemd.

Devuan provides free init, letting the user choose which init system
they want to use. Obviously, because the primary job is to remove the
mandatory dependency on systemd, if you choose to run systemd, you'd
better stick with Debian. Now if you want to run standard GNU utilities
to do what systemd wants to replace beyond init, you're in the right place.

There are a couple of systemd components whose dependency is harder to
remove, such as logind and udevd, especially for the GNOME desktop that
highly integrates with systemd. Work is currently being done to replace
them or at least provide a systemd shim that would allow developers to
keep working on a compatible layer without the need for any systemd
components.

Once Jessie is done, running without systemd, then the
systemd-compatibility will mostly depend on the evolution of Debian,
because I can't imagine the Devuan developers spending much of their
time accommodating systemd developers' poor choices. But I also expect
that by that time (ASCII or ASCII+1), systemd will have become
irrelevant to most of us.

==
hk

--
 _ _     We are free to share code and we code to share freedom
(_X_)yne Foundation, Free Culture Foundry * https://www.dyne.org/donate/