Til: 'Nuno Magalhães', dng
Emne: Re: [Dng] Plan for Devuan to use Mozilla products as is

> "Go look at the code, it's open" is a common "argument" i hear from pro-systemd advocates. Curious. About looking at the code: have you personally audited chrome's code, top to bottom, OpenBSD-style? 'Cos if you haven't - it is a big piece of software -, well your argument is moot

 Nuno, when I say this, I'm not trying to be rude, or nasty or mean.    The fact that you don't like Google is noted, and accepted.

If you aren't going to make the effort to look at the code, please do not pass judgment on the authors or their efforts. Otherwise, you are offering only second hand knowledge: hearsay and not fact. That's not an argument associated with systemd, that is the whole point of open source. It is actually about the level of trust. No one can possibly argue that the code is tainted or not when they have not reviewed the code. Nor has anyone on this list likely to have reviewed the vast majority of the code for all of a Linux distribution. Either Devuan trusts the community to police the code or it doesn't.

Just to be clear, I did not advocate "Chrome" at any point. Chromium is not Chrome. A derived software is not the same as the original. Chrome is made from Chromium, not the other way around. Much the same way, LibreOffice is NOT the original OpenOffice, nor is Lotus Symphony.

I think after this, I'm going to lessen responding to the general list. I'm *not* pointing fingers at you, Nuno or anyone's behavior. I am just as guilty of the same, but any time I decide to spend on Devuan could be more productive: better spent packaging or coding. I "totally get" the need to vent, or just rant sometimes - but the constant antagonism toward certain software, their authors, and the paranoia is starting to get to me. Some of the discussions have been great! I especially liked the one on languages. However, most seem to go nowhere.

Is there a dev list available where I can track the progress of Devuan toward Alpha?

With that, I will leave you to your devices for a while.
t.j.