:: Re: [Dng] [OT] Debian problems with…
Top Pagina
Auteur: T.J. Duchene
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [Dng] [OT] Debian problems with Jesse - was simple backgrounds

On 03/02/2015 11:05 AM, Steve Litt wrote:

> If I were the king of all open source, and a programmer asked to write
> a program in C, I would ask them to justify that. Will their
> performance bottleneck be the code itself rather than the typist's
> fingers? Will the time taken by their program materially affect the
> overall performance of the computer? Do they need special access to the
> metal that Python doesn't give them? Do they need to deal with a
> library not accessible via Python, or even Lua?

We just see things differently. My first question would be: is there
are a justified reason NOT to use C?

In opensource, more often then not, small tasks get combined into big
tasks, via scripting or whatever - into huge morasses of complex
complicated scripts. It can lead to serious problems, which I personally
prefer to avoid. I suppose in that way I am somewhat more BSDish than
your average Linux user. My concern is usually what maximizes
efficiency over the long term.