Til: T.J. Duchene
CC: Dng
Emne: Re: [Dng] [OT] Debian problems with Jesse - was simple backgrounds
On Mon, Mar 02, 2015 at 12:18:56AM -0600, T.J. Duchene wrote:

> On 03/02/2015 12:16 AM, T.J. Duchene wrote:
> >>
> >I was not referring to all the software that depends on them when
> >using Debian/Devuan.
>
> *I was referring to all the software that depends on them when using
> Debian/Devuan. *
>
> Bad editing on my part. Mea Culpa.

Well guys, we need be honest on this point: it's not just a matter of
programming languages. If you would like to blame "the modern
programming languages" for giving the possibility of having several
layers of abstraction, then Perl and Python are definitely the worst
examples, since they date back to the late 80s and the early 90s,
respectively, and cannot be considered "modern" at all.

So the problem is not the language. The truth is that in the last 30
years we have started doing millions new things with computers, and
these new needs have unavoidably brought new software and new
libraries. Despite I like to keep my programs small, simple and
reliable, I believe that it is not possible to set limits to the
creativity of coders: let them use all the freedom they need. Unless
they use this freedom to break my toys apart, in which case I get
nervous ;)

I personally don't see the massive usage of Perl or Python *per se* as
a threat to the reliability of the OS. I think that bad programming
habits in C or C++ are even more dangerous than good Perlisms, as the
SSH heartbleed saga has recently shown.

My2Cents

KatolaZ

--
[ Enzo Nicosia aka KatolaZ --- GLUG Catania -- Freaknet Medialab ]
[ me [at] katolaz.homeunix.net -- http://katolaz.homeunix.net -- ]