:: Re: [Dng] [OT] Debian problems with…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: T.J. Duchene
À: Tor Myklebust
CC: Dng
Sujet: Re: [Dng] [OT] Debian problems with Jesse - was simple backgrounds

On 03/01/2015 05:56 PM, Tor Myklebust wrote:

> The perl-base package pre-depends on libc6 and dpkg. And nothing else.

I was not referring to all the software that depends on them when using
Debian/Devuan.  I've never believed that they make good choice for a
required component.  Frankly, I've also believe that interpreted
languages should never be used for anything other than a teaching tool.
    If you must use something like that, at least use something that
supports JIT to native code.

> You can write programs in Perl or Python that do not depend on any
> modules that are not installed in the base Perl and Python packages.

I never suggested otherwise. In fact, I went out of my way to say that
the community attitude of overuse and the extensions specifically were
the problem, not the core.

>> c) In both languages, modules are usually something of a "black art" and
>> notorious for being unreliable at unexpected times.
>
> Are you claiming that perl's module system does not always work as
> expected? Or just that some perl modules are poorly-written?

My remarks about Perl stem from poor QA in many Perl modules, and issues
with the community/CPAN.

>> In my experience, while you can generally expect things like the Perl
>> core language to act reliably,you can't expect the same of the rest
>> of the Perl ecosystem to do the same. The QA simply is not there.
>> Not to mention that all of this can massively impact performance.
>
> This reads like FUD to me. Yes, it's possible to write Perl modules.
> Like anything else, it's possible to do slipshod work. Why are you
> trying to paint this as a *bad* thing?

Just because my opinions may not be conventional, does not mean that I
am "painting" anything.

Personally, I think you missed the crux of what I was trying to say
about the piling one layer of interpreted software, one abstraction, on
top of another. It hardly matters though. I said my piece. You're
certainly welcome to read it however you like. I said what was on my
mind, and you are free to make your own judgements. I'm not offended in
any case. So you don't agree. Good for you! =) That means that you
gave it some thought.

t.j.