:: Re: [Dng] us as tech support
Top Pagina
Auteur: Steve Litt
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [Dng] us as tech support
On Sun, 01 Mar 2015 18:06:01 +0100
Anto <aryanto@???> wrote:

> On 01/03/15 17:38, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 01, 2015 at 01:09:21AM -0500, Gravis wrote:
> >> now we're tech support?
> > To an extent, yes.
> >
> > We need to know what problems people have with our software, so we
> > can either fix it or fix the documentation.
> >
> > Or do we want to be accused of "notlistening to our users"?
> >
> > -- hendriks

> I only posted 2 topics in this mailing list so far, with the hope to
> get the "tech support". The question of Gravis above makes me wonder
> if I posted my emails to the right mailing list,

Obviously one of the uses of this mailing list is tech support. And as
such, we always walk a fine line between enabling lazy people who won't
search for themselves, and snarking out people who have already looked,
or have no idea where to look. Personally, I tend to give people the
benefit of the doubt, as long as they submit a reasonable symptom
description. That's what Gravis did, giving me a 1 sentence path to
take.

In this particular case, I think the deal was that I was asking a qemu
question, not a Devuan Valentines question. And it got answered.

The reasons I didn't spend more time searching for an answer were:

1) I didn't know at the time that it was not a Devuan Valentines
question.
2) Any time I spent troubleshooting the problem would have come right
off the time I was spending doing the Devuan dmenu howto.
3) I believe the purpose of RTFM is to eliminate easy, five minute
answers, not to cost the questioner a lot of time when the answer
just might be a single sentence.

Anyway, I think obviously one of the list's functions should be tech
support. Some of us will want to do that, and some would prefer to
ignore the question, and that's fine.

SteveT