:: [Dng] Disnovation: an inquiry into …
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Jaromil
À: dng
Sujet: [Dng] Disnovation: an inquiry into the mechanics and rhetoric of innovation

I guess this is good food for thought in the philosophical discussion, a
post from the best blogger avantgarde I can think of, Regine Debatty

Disnovation, an inquiry into the mechanics and rhetoric of innovation
http://we-make-money-not-art.com/archives/2015/02/disnovation.php

It is a report about an (excellent, IMHO) exhibition who took place in Pau's
"festival accès)s(" France. Here below an excerpt:

A few months ago, the festival accès)s( in Pau (France) invited the audience to
take a critical look at the idea of a techno-driven progress, at a propaganda
machine that promise that new 'advances' in information and communication
technologies will solve our problems and fulfill the dreams we don't even know
we had. All we need to do is update, upgrade and replace our devices.

The problem is that this quest for the new, this confusion between 'innovation'
and 'progress', has been seeping into other areas of the public sphere:
politics, economy, eduction and art. This global phenomenon has contributed to
institute techno-sciences as the core of modern dogma and the consommation /
innovation pair as the driving force for the economics.

This 'Disnovation' (a term coined by Gregory Chatonsky), this techno-capitalist
innovation that feeds on our fear of obsolescence raises a series of questions:

Are the continuous flight towards novelty and the negation of preceding values
a human obligation, an intuitive tendency, an end in itself, a salutary value?
Is innovation the expression of an ideal whose purposes are dictated by mere
economic and industrial choices? How can artists become tacit actors for the
spreading and popularization of innovations? How does this context result as
counter-relief in hijacked, critical, poetic, alternative practices?

As a cherry on top there is a link to somehting I did not know it existed - and
it's awesome! the Livermore California's Longest Burning Light Bulb!
http://www.centennialbulb.org burning since 114 years now without interruption!

ciao

--
Jaromil, Dyne.org Free Software Foundry (est. 2000)
We are free to share code and we code to share freedom