:: Re: [Dng] simple backgrounds
Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Isaac Dunham
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: KatolaZ
Kopio: dng
Uudet otsikot: [Dng] NIC at boot, was Re: simple backgrounds
Aihe: Re: [Dng] simple backgrounds
On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 06:13:24PM +0000, KatolaZ wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 01:56:56PM +0000, Matthew Melton wrote:
>
> [cut]
>

> > > Just to support my point, Debian has a great logo, but this is what is
> > > currently happening to the users of Jessie, thanks to the
> > > systemd-nonsense:
> > >
> > > https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2015/02/msg00013.html
> >
> > Think they have found a solution after reading the followups. Reminds me that someone complained they couldn't terminate fdisk if started by systemd during boot.
> > Might offer to help them...once I have stopped laughing of course. Ha ha.
> >

> Well, I still find it hard to believe that a modern Unix OS might be
> stuck at boot because I forgot to connect an ethernet cable... This is
> the essence of the systemd-nonsense. In that case it was "just" a

What baffles me is that Lennart *has* written a daemon specifically to
*avoid* hung boots due to networks being down.
It's called ifplugd.

(And yes, if I used my ethernet port more often than the twice a year
I now use it, I might want to use ifplugd. Unlike systemd, it's a
single small daemon that just checks interface state and runs a script
if it's connected.)

Or, that might be the way Debian sets up networking as a dependency of
remote-fs which is a dependency of the late-boot programs in /usr.
I used to encounter similar problems when I had no wireless; fortunately,
sysvinit proceeds after a timeout.

Thanks,
Isaac Dunham