:: Re: [Dng] idea for discussion: why …
Kezdőlap
Szerző: Nate Bargmann
Dátum:
Címzett: dng
Tárgy: Re: [Dng] idea for discussion: why 1 dbus [long e-mail]
* On 2015 25 Feb 10:03 -0600, Godefridus Daalmans wrote:
> Personally I consider task #2 to do a little discovery and documenting of
> what kinds of "middle-ware" I have on my Linux box and how it all interacts
> (things like: what is akonadi/nepomuk/colord/avahi and do I need all of
> that).

Unless one is running KDE (whatever they call it these days),
akonadi/nepomuk are not an issue. colord is billed as a means to manage
color profiles--it is not installed on my Sid box although libcolord2 is
installed to satisfy a dependency by libgtk-3-0. avahi implements a
server for mdns, AIUI, and is needed by Pulse Audio to move sound over
the network, for one example.

> So I have a weird question for discussion, to study the *design* of dbus
> together on this mailinglist with you lot who are probably a lot smarter
> than me.
>
> Please be gentle and provide arguments if you think I'm talking crap :-)

> Why is there 1 dbus program (instead of 2 or 3)?

Most likely because it has mostly been restrained to its problem domain
and no one has been troubled enough by it to reimplement a replacement.

After this I don't know enough to comment further but I find your
thoughts interesting.

- Nate