:: [Dng] FreeBSD, etc
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Robert Storey
À: dng
Sujet: [Dng] FreeBSD, etc
> What I found was that PC-BSD would do the job. OpenBSD is the best OS
> I've ever seen, and I would have moved to that a year ago, except that
> its VM ability is disfunctional, meaning I can't run those few apps
> that don't run on OpenBSD. Also, OpenBSD's file system's performance on
> file creates and deletes is abyssmal, but that's not a big deal for my
> use case.
>
> Manjaro is a great distro, available in both a systemd and a OpenRC
> boot variety. The OpenRC variety is trivial to turn into runit or
> Epoch. It has the pacman package manager, which I consider a little
> better than apt. I've been planning to go the Manjaro route.
>
> Until I saw what everyone's doing with Devuan. Reading this mailing
> list, it looks to me like Devuan is going far beyond what Debian *ever*
> did in creating a modular, Unix Philosophy distro, without sacrificing
> ease of installation, installer quality, or reasonable GUI usage.
>
> So Manjaro has fallen from my expected path forward to my backup plan,
> and I'm planning on using Devuan, even though it's based on Debian.
> Because, from my perspective, Devuan is addressing a lot of complaints
>I had about Debian long before systemd rared its ugly head.
>
> SteveT

Thanks for the info about Manjaro. I'll keep on my short list of options,
which also include Slackware and PCLinuxOS.

I'm happy to say that I figured out how to turn on cpu frequency scaling in
FreeBSD, but the video driver issue remains unsolved.

Of course, what I really want to see is that Devuan is a big success, so
that I won't need a Plan B (even though it's always a good idea to have
one). I discovered the joys of apt-get about 10 years ago and have no
desire to abandon it, though I will if it means having to swallow systemd.

A recurring wet dream of mine is that some big unsolvabe security
compromise in systemd blows away the entire project, and Pottering gets
fired and decides to move to Tibet and become a monk.

cheers,