:: Re: [Dng] [philosophy] KISS, roots…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Isaac Dunham
Aan: Steve Litt
CC: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [Dng] [philosophy] KISS, roots linux and the logo WAS Re: Dng Digest, Vol 5, Issue 11
On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 07:10:59PM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Feb 2015 10:27:23 -0500
> Hendrik Boom <hendrik@???> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 09:57:29AM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
> > >
> > > If you're talking about Devuan, yes, it is! I got on the Devuan
> > > mailing list just to escape systemd, and have been pleasantly
> > > surprised by how Devuan is re-architecting everything.
> >
> > Does that meerly reflect how systemd is dearchitecting everything?
> > Or are there things being rearchitected that aren't systemd issues?
> >
> > -- hendrik
>
> Well, first of all, understand the only Devuan I've run is Valentines,
> and I didn't peer too deeply under the hood. My opinions come from
> things the Devuan Developers say on this list. I've seen a replacement
> for udev which, if I'm not mistaken, can simply be substituted for udev
> or eudev. <snip>

As far as I can tell, nothing's available *yet* that can *simply*
be substituted for (e)udev.

vdev is available and from what I understand should be able to provide
what udev provides, but (a) I'm not sure what the status of
libudev-compat is; (b) vdev doesn't have an init script or mkinitramfs
integration yet; and (c) not all the compatability links are provided.
As far as I know, that means that mount by label wouldn't work.

mdev is available, but it has nothing available to provide libudev
compatability at present; compatability links, an init script, and
minimal mkinitramfs integration are provided, but you may need some
hackery (equivs or repacking, plus manual configuration at a minimum)
to replace udev with mdev if you have Xorg installed.

Right now, I'm working on a redo of the /dev/disk/by-label links for mdev.
(Parsing the default output of blkid safely is not trivial and obvious.)
Once I test that, I plan to push it and modify vdev's disk.sh to handle
/dev/disk/by-label/.

Thanks,
Isaac Dunham