:: [Dng] Dng] Xfce response
Top Pagina
Auteur: T.J. Duchene
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: [Dng] Dng] Xfce response

>     [
> From:    David Harrison
> To:    dng@???

> Last week I volunteered (was volunteered?) to contact the Xfce team and
> ask them whether systemd loomed on their horizon. Here is the report
> that was promised.

David, you are awesome! =) Thanks so much for taking the time to do this!

> After a long chat with a couple of developers on the #xfce channel, it
> seems they have no plans to introduce hard systemd dependencies. A
> welcome change from certain DEs that are queueing up to staple logind to
> their own foreheads?

I really don't see any reason why any Unix DE should lock itself to one Unix
style OS - even Linux. Although to be perfectly honest, I have no objections
to optional soft dependencies to assist those who do use systemd.

Leave people the saner choice for their personal need is all I ever ask.

> They also recommended Consolekit2 as a compatible candidate login
> system, and said that Xfce plays well with OpenRC and SysVinit.
> Consolekit2 is a fork maintained independently of Xfce by one of their
> team. Please make of that what you wish as I don't know the ins and outs
> of these components.

Basically, they are saying that they are using a different kit for
suspend/hibernate rather than depending on systemd.

> They confirmed that Xfce 4.12 will be released this weekend and
> recommended packaging it. The Whisker menu is now an Xfce project and is
> now at v1.50.

That's great news! I've been waiting for a new release for some time. I just
hope that they updated DE to vsync with OpenGL instead of Xrandr.

> Just passing on the news -- don't bite if I've misreported anything
>
> All the best,

No worries. Thanks!