:: Re: [Dng] plan to install valentine…
Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Noel Torres
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: dng
Aihe: Re: [Dng] plan to install valentine pre-alpha on real hardware.
On Monday, 23 de February de 2015 21:35:47 Hendrik Boom escribió:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 04:30:39PM -0500, william moss wrote:
> >
> > On 02/23/2015 04:24 PM, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> > > I have a three-or-four year-old laptop on which I am replacingg the
> > > hard drive. It seems to be old enough not to have proper
> > > virtualisatoin hardware. It currently dual-boots Debian testing, and,
> > > once in a blue moon, Windows XP.
> > >
> > > (So far the main problems I have had is to copy Windows' three
> > > partitions -- the one that runs, the so-called restore partition, and
> > > the EFI partition. I'm hoping that grub will find a way to make the
> > > running partition bootable. I managed to get clonezilla to copy the
> > > three partitions (even though the EFI partition seemed to violate what
> > > I know of the EFI specs in that it didn't have a FAT 12, 16, or 32
> > > filesystem. Maybe grub will be able to figure out how to boot what
> > > needs booting.)
>
> Oh yes, Despite the EFI partition it is still a BIOS machine. Go figure.
>
> > > But maybe this is the ideal time to try the iso on the new drive and
> > > try it on real hardware instead of a virtual machine. If things were
> > > to go
> > > massively wrong, I could always put the old disk back in.
> > >
> > > Except I need instructions just how to do this. It does not have a CD
> > > or DVD drive, but will boot from USB stick.
> > >
> > > How do I go about putting the installation .iso onto a USB stick so it
> > > will boot? Debian should be good enough to accomplish that, riight?
> > >
> > > Or is there another installation method it might be more useful to
> > > test?
> > >
> > > -- hendrik

> > If you insist, there is an application to do this in Linux (one for
> > windows also, do not remember the name):
> > unetbootin
> >
> > or
> >
> > dd if=Fully-qualified-path-to-the-image of=Raw-USB-Device
> >
> > for example
> > dd if=/home/daffyduck/download/devian.iso of=/dev/sde
> >
> > use blkid to get the USB device.
>
> Ah! That easy! I just need to copy the iso file as is to the USB stick and
> that's enough to make it boot? There's nothing special about it being a
> USB stick or a CD?
>
> marvellous!

BIOS boots by copying the first 512 bytes of the first disk (whatever it is) on
memory, and railroading from that on.

Long live to the 5 1/4 boot disk!

er Envite

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

OpenPGP key: 1586 50C8 7DBF B050 DE62 EA12 70B4 00F3 EEC7 C372

Spiral galaxies always have at least TWO arms.