:: [Dng] OT - It may be only one file…
Top Pagina
Auteur: T.J. Duchene
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: [Dng] OT - It may be only one file, but it does point to the bigger problem

> My philosopher as a free software author is this: The buck stops with
> me. If my software screws up, it's my fault and my responsibility to
> fix, regardless of the actual root cause is in code I wrote or a tool I
> use.
>
> If I were having problems with two different compilers treating my code
> two different ways, I'd #ifdef the hell out of it to kludge it back to
> working order on both.
>
> But that's just me. I've seen a lot of free software authors say "hey,
> it's not my fault, it's the ______ library or tool. Doesn't help the
> user a heck of a lot.
>
> SteveT

That's a fair point, in an overall sense, Steve. I'm afraid as a matter of
practicality, I must disagree.

Debugging on a compiler is a very specific skill-set. Asking someone who
doesn't do that every day to fix what is probably a compiler bug is asking a
lot - especially when you may have to venture into the realm of processor
mnemonics and specific registers to fix the problem.

In my opinion, that is especially relevant when dealing with ARM because there
are so many makers of ARM processors with specific tweaks.

T.J.