:: Re: [Dng] OT - It may be only one f…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Hendrik Boom
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [Dng] OT - It may be only one file, but it does point to the bigger problem!
On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 12:16:16PM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Feb 2015 16:26:11 -0600
> "T.J. Duchene" <t.j.duchene@???> wrote:
>
> > The only truth that I can be certain of from reading this is that GCC
> > works best only on x86 processors, and that has not changed in nearly
> > 2 decades. It is also true that a lot of opensource code, even the
> > Linux kernel, presently only compiles properly on GCC, rather than
> > others such as Clang/LLVM.
>
> My philosopher as a free software author is this: The buck stops with
> me. If my software screws up, it's my fault and my responsibility to
> fix, regardless of the actual root cause is in code I wrote or a tool I
> use.
>
> If I were having problems with two different compilers treating my code
> two different ways, I'd #ifdef the hell out of it to kludge it back to
> working order on both.
>
> But that's just me. I've seen a lot of free software authors say "hey,
> it's not my fault, it's the ______ library or tool. Doesn't help the
> user a heck of a lot.

No, it doesn't help the user lot. It doesn't help the free software
author's users much, and it doean't help the ______ library's user, the
free software author.

Unless, of course, it's combined with a sincere effort to report the
problem to the author of the ______ library or tool. That's usually my
first resort once I'm actually investied in using ______.

If that doesn't work, or I'm not invested in using ______, well:

I *hate* kludging up my software to get around the problems of a tool
I'm using. I much prefer finding another tool that actually works
properly. Which, I admit, could leave the users of ______ that want my
software in the lurch.

So, in the question of gcc vs clang, I'd ask, which is more correct?
Conceptually clean? More likely to be available to my users? Available to
me?

-- hendrik