:: [Dng] OT - It may be only one file…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: T.J. Duchene
A: dng
Assumpte: [Dng] OT - It may be only one file, but it does point to the bigger problem!

> Systemd, to me, is a horror story. The more I read the scarier it gets.
>
> At the very beginning of the 219 Lennart announcement you find this:
> > Note that this version is not available in Fedora F22/F23 yet. The
> > linker on ARM segfaults. Since the i386 and x86_64 versions built
> > fine, I decided to release 219 anyway.

Systemd has its problems, I agree.

However, that said, before you take anyone - even Lennart - to task on such a
comment, please consider objectively that it may not be a code problem, but in
fact a compiler problem. I'm am not familiar with the specifics of the
situation, but I felt compelled to mention that GCC has a long history of
processor specific problems, which I have experienced firsthand.

The only truth that I can be certain of from reading this is that GCC works
best only on x86 processors, and that has not changed in nearly 2 decades.
It is also true that a lot of opensource code, even the Linux kernel,
presently only compiles properly on GCC, rather than others such as
Clang/LLVM.

> Onward no matter what. Ready or not here systemd comes. We can only
> hope that, sooner rather then later, it catches up with them and bites
> them, you know where.

In keeping with commonsense and not hysteria, I hope they do fix things with
eventually, but the truth is that compilers - regardless of language - can be
finicky beasts from one processor family to the next.

T.J.