著者: John Morris
To: Gravis
CC: dng@lists.dyne.org
題目: Re: [Dng] OT: Linux kernel and the force behind it
On Fri, 2015-02-20 at 14:32 -0500, Gravis wrote:
> > RPC had already been solved in a general way by SunRPC (ONCRPC) before
> either GNOME or KDE existed
>
> interesting I'd never read about those until now. however, there was no
> GPL (compatible?) version for Linux (still isn't?) and the internet didn't
> have it's information as organized back then. sure you can find
> information easy with wikipedia... but wikipedia started in 2005. this was
> also the era when xml was the solution to every problem which somewhat
> explains why the messages are encoded in xml. who knows, maybe the did
> know about ONCRPC but didn't like it and decided to make their own.

Do man rpcbind then jump to the bottom and note the date and origin.
And what the heck, the GNOMEs also had CORBA for an RPC method until
they decided to abandon it. Just another case of NIH and those who hate
UNIX being doomed to reinvent it... poorly.