:: Re: [Dng] OT: Linux kernel and the …
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Didier Kryn
À: John Crisp, dng
Sujet: Re: [Dng] OT: Linux kernel and the force behind it

Le 19/02/2015 18:05, John Crisp a écrit :
> The short version of this whole thing is that Poettering - and with him,
> RedHat - are trying to take the kernel away from Linux Torvalds. They
> are doing so by creating another kernel in userland that everything
> depends on. Once they have enough stuff jacked into Poettering's matrix,
> they'll use it to leverage Torvalds out of the picture and finally take
> the whole cake for themselves.

     Another kernel in userland, this is the exact word, and it is clear
as from seeing systemd
extending its domination to every part of the userland. And when they've
kicked Thorvalds
out, they'll migrate enough of systemd into the kernel to make it
impossible to take it out. I
guess even Apple does not make such a thing with FreeBSD.

> Systemd is nothing more than a cynical play for domination and control
> of the entire Linux ecosystem. To "own the stack" of a modern distro.
> And since RedHat has managed to co-opt so many core projects, there is
> precious little to stop them.
>
> "Linux" as we think of it today is on life support. Android/Linux and
> systemd/Linux are now looking to be the two dominant entities.
> Traditional Linux - one that adheres to the Unix philosophy - is all but
> dead. Hopefully, Devuan can save it.

     I agree 100% with you. But you phrase it better than me :-) Thank
you for it. They are so
clearly and quickly hijacking the system that they can't hide their
intentions anymore. I am
sure Debian people will eventually understand what's going on. The
question is when.

     BTW I think nobody here cares about having Devuan support Gnome.
The do-it-all DEs,
those providing their own integrated replacement for every application,
are, by design,
opposed to the Nix principles. It is not a surprise that systemd and
Gnome are working
together.

     But how can we name the free OS Devuan will provide? It is
definitely not the same as
Debian, but Debian won't rename itself "Systemd/Linux".

     Gnu itself considers free only very few distros, and even Debian
was not in the list,
because it tolerated non-free software. This never prevented Debian from
calling its
distributions "Gnu/Linux". And, since it isn't in Gnu's list, it cannot
be removed.

     Didier