Til: dng
Emne: Re: [Dng] successfully manually removing systemd and libsystemd0 from debian and still maintaining a working desktop
Steve Litt:
> On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 17:28:58 +0100 (CET)
> karl@??? wrote:
>
> > At second thought, I'll first try to factor out udev completely -- or
> > rather -- make the system to be *dev agnostic.
>
> Karl, please document your experiment so that some of us can follow in
> your footsteps.

I have a test machine currently running gentoo and an a minimal
wheezy that I'll experiement with.

> A "no udev" box isn't pertinent to Devuan, but it sure as heck is
> pertinent to me, and probably you and I aren't alone.

I think that devuan can profit from beeing able to switch to e.g.
vdev, and Luke shown us that he was able to run X without udev.
Soo, the usual claim of dependancy on udev is false.

But I feel this is strange, why is that udev is forced upon you,
why isn't it available to you at your own decision. And why are
people saying that you can't have a useful system without it,
and actually turning a deaf ear towards any argumentation against ?

One problem with udev as I see it, is that you can't remove it
without rebooting from some other media, you're stuck with it.
How do you debug a thing like that ?

Regards,
/Karl Hammar

Aspö Data