:: Re: [Dng] About Devuan's audience
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Steve Litt
To: dng
Betreff: Re: [Dng] About Devuan's audience
On Mon, 16 Feb 2015 10:36:19 -0600
Vince Mulhollon <vince@???> wrote:

> There shouldn't be any "tweaking" for a desktop. This whole bad idea
> comes from marketing at Microsoft

Whoaaa, wait a minute. Another word for "tweaking" is "choice", kind of
like the reason we revolted and overthrew Debian.

On a more practical plane, I use and love Openbox. But fact is, as it
comes from the factory, Openbox sucks. Few hotkeys, wrong mouse
movements, no margin. As it comes from the factory, it's a continual
stream of frustrating stumbling blocks.

Not to worry. I installed dmenu for lightning fast program
instantiation. I changed a bunch of hotkeys and added a lot of hotkeys
to accommodate a touch-typist. I have an ultra-easy (for me) key combo
to run dmenu. I put a 6px margin on the left side of the screen so
there's always a part of the "desktop" I can click for root menu or list
of open windows.

My hotkey for dmenu is Ctrl+Shift+semicolon. I bet most of you would
hate that. Perhaps you'd prefer it be a simple function key.
Fortunately, you can "tweak" Openbox to make the hotkey the function
key of your choice.

If I didn't want to tweak, I'd be using Windows, and let Microsoft tell
me how to organize my workflow and work habits.

SteveT