:: Re: [Dng] About Devuan's audience
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Didier Kryn
A: rowens, dng
Assumpte: Re: [Dng] About Devuan's audience

Le 16/02/2015 18:57, Rob Owens a écrit :
> [...]

     I am currently maintaining a dozen of embedded powerpcs, a dozen
Dell PowerEdge servers, 3 desktops and my HP laptop, for my job, all
running wheezy. Plus a desktop at home. But I'm not a professional
programmer. I learned what I needed for my job. When considering
Debian's package management, or autotools I feel like a bug
contemplating an ophicleide. No, actually the bug does not care, but you
see what I mean.

      I started programming in C in 1980, when Motorolla produced the
6809 microprocessor, with a revolutionary feature: instruction address
could be indexed  by a register. This allowed PIC, and Microware
produced the OS9 system, with a C compiler producing PIC by default and
a brand of Emacs. When their development model became crazy, I switched
to Linux, in the 90's. Never touched BSD, but I guess it's familiar. I
learned Ada 6 or 7 years ago and I loved it.

     I will retire in ~one month and I consider using part of my leisure
building Pi-Tops for everybody around me. And I hope I can install
Devuan on them. Never liked Gnome. It was too ugly from the begining. I
used KDE until it started to regress. Now on xfce4, but I will give a
try to some of the slim DE described by Steve Litt on his web pages.
Also for the fun of their exotic look and style.