:: Re: [Dng] successfully manually rem…
Kezdőlap
Szerző: Isaac Dunham
Dátum:
Címzett: Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
CC: dng
Tárgy: Re: [Dng] successfully manually removing systemd and libsystemd0 from debian and still maintaining a working desktop
On Sun, Feb 15, 2015 at 11:28:38PM +0000, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 15, 2015 at 11:07 PM, Isaac Dunham <ibid.ag@???> wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 15, 2015 at 05:49:54PM +0000, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> >> http://slashdot.org/submission/4203115/removing-libsystemd0-from-a-live-running-debian-system
> >>
> >> if anyone would like to help get the word out, as a way to actively
> >> engage more developers and end-users to give them their right to
> >> choose what software to run, please do consider hitting the "+" button
> >> on the above submission.
> >
> > Done, I think. (I use NoScript, so...I guess the "+" button sticking
> > means it worked...)
>
> it's up and happily collecting comments.
>
> > Reading it I noticed "dbus, pulseaudio, policykit-1" - I only recompiled
> > util-linux. Checked in Aptitude, and I don't have dbus installed.
> > (I have libdbus installed, but not the dbus daemon, pulse, or policykit.)
> ..
> you are lucky :) i run a wide range of software as part of my
> business so i have quite a bit more around.
>
> > boot system into non-functional state due to udev not working?
> > Huh? udev works fine for me (Debian Jessie).
>
> bizarre! can you remember if, as a result of recompiling and
> installing the util-linux packages, initrds were regenerated at all?
> (it's done in a postinst hook somewhere)

I don't remember.
Actually...grepping /root/.bash_history, I see I only installed the
bsdutils package (which is the only one depending on libsystemd).
I would assume that means there was not regeneration at that point,
but I've updated the other util-linux packages, udev, and the kernel
since.
I've also gotten my system to boot using mdev, but not to udev-less X.
So I disabled mdev.

The system in question is Jessie, downgraded from sid a couple months
ago. (I enabled Jessie repos, apt-pinned at much higher priority,
updated, let apt downgrade everything it wanted to, and disabled
sid repos and the apt pinning.)
It's new enough that I don't have an Xorg.conf.

> > And I've rebuilt
> > util-linux and removed libsystemd0 already.
>
> ohh, you are so lucky! can i add you to the list of successes?

Sure, if you want to keep count.

> > Or are you trying to remove udev as well?
>
> no i'm not - it just... the entire system froze on me at checking the
> udev entries. but, at the time, i didn't have makedev installed.
>
> well... there may be hope then that i can actually get udev back up
> and running. this would be good as sound is not coming out of the
> speakers at the moment. volume's set, etc. etc. - just.... no sound.

Does "alsactl init" do anything for you, by some chance?
I just spent a day figuring out that that was what I needed to do,
after I realized I didn't have sound on a several month old system.

Thanks,
Isaac Dunham