:: Re: [Dng] John Goerzen asks, "Has m…
Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Vince Mulhollon
Ημερομηνία:
Υ/ο: dng
Αντικείμενο: Re: [Dng] John Goerzen asks, "Has modern Linux lost its way?"
On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 7:07 AM, Nuno Magalhães <nunomagalhaes@???>
wrote:

> which is required if you want to appeal to new users.

That's the problem with the obese DEs. Corporate marketing says all that
matters is the noobs, oh and we need this list of features nobody actually
uses for our marketing campaigns in a giant checklist, you know, right next
to the checkbox for "security". So we can sell to noobs while convincing
them they're real power users because it can do complicated things no one
wants to do. The folks who know what they're doing? Forget about them,
we're not selling to them. So we're stuck with the fisher-price user
interface.

Meanwhile the devs can't eat their own dogfood because they're not utter
noobs, and nobody wants the featurelist marketing is pushing.

Why FOSS projects feel the need to emulate this toxic corporate culture is
a complete mystery, but they certainly do a good job of it.