:: Re: [Dng] pre alpha valentine (secr…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Steve Litt
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [Dng] pre alpha valentine (secret love declaration)
On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 21:41:20 +0000
Jaromil <jaromil@???> wrote:

> Some notes I should have added:
>
> this is using sysvinit as init, but still has systemd because:
>
> 1- udev is part of systemd
> 2- gvfs is still depending from systemd
> 3- dbus is still depending from systemd
> 4- lightdm requires systemd-logind (only systemd daemon running)
>

> I'm looking forward to Jude's suggestions for 1 and 3. For 2 is just
> a matter of having gvfs recompiled. 4 may be solved by Dimkr's
> LoginKit if he makes it, or we may have to keep the systemd-login
> daemon around for a little longer.
>

> ciao

I have another suggestion: Enable booting into an nCurses program that
accepts user and password, enables you to choose your window manager,
and then this program simply spawns X running your chosen window
manager.

====== WHY THIS SUGGESTION ======

To me, as long as we keep catering to every upstream poetterization,
we're just dancing to Red Hat's tune. Red Hat made it clear that
they're out to poetterize every piece of software, eliminating all
choice. We bend over backward making ourselves compatible with
poetterware, hoping this time it will be enough. But it's never enough:
They won't quit til the cat command has systemd requirements.

By making complete substitutes for vast swaths of poetterware, we draw
a line in the sand, telling Red Hat, its sycophants, and the "I don't
care" world, that they have a choice. A choice made of building blocks
anybody can use. A choice that's granular, repairable and
understandable.

I fear if we keep playing whack-a-mole with Red Hat, we'll tire
ourselves out, and never get to the point where we're actually making
good software for the users.

SteveT