Til: Jaromil
CC: dng
Emne: Re: [Dng] Towards systemd-free packages
On Sun, Feb 08, 2015 at 11:08:24AM +0000, Jaromil wrote:
> here the current thread on this
> https://git.devuan.org/devuan/devuan-project/issues/6
>
> Over the weekend I've assessed the first minimal group of packages,
> processed them via the new Devuan SDK and committed them on our
> packages-base git https://git.devuan.org/groups/packages-base
> If you like to adopt maintainance of a package there, please open an
> issue and I'll give you write access. The package-base repos will be
> automatically pulled by our Jenkins, compiled and if succesful put into
> the Devuan package repository, so all the work can be done here.
>
> About systemd extirpation: the real culprit is bsdutils, aka util-linux,
> that Debian has tied to systemd because of the logger. What a paradox to
> have 'bsdutils' bound to systemd.... however...
>
> I'm still in an early stage of development and haven't yet completed the
> SDK with functions to test the installer, however this is my current
> approach at cleaning up util-linux, touching as less as possible
> https://git.devuan.org/packages-base/util-linux/commit/a51bce5830336af3c5ec9da6de95af926c1b1609
>
> Once compiled and installed into a Devuan schroot, it allows to remove
> libsystemd0 and then sysvinit gets installed automatically, without
> warnings about removing a core component.

My approach was slightly more minimal; the sample services can stay
without a dependency.
I've been running Debian with the patched bsdutils for a while, no
problems and no systemd.
(After holding udev, nothing else wants systemd.)

> I'll let the dust settle now and look at Franco's push on the CI.
> My next steps on the SDK will be update the documentation and work on
> the installer and livecd baking mechanism.
>
> My guess now is that we'll have i386 and amd64 as available
> architectures for a start and arm will come slightly later.

Will mipsel come up sometime? I ask because ImgTech's Creator CI20
(dual-core JZ4780 mipsel32) ships with Debian Wheezy...and I've been
thinking about getting one.

As soon as you start populating the i386 repository, I'm ready to switch.
If the packages build at all like they should, it will work; and if not,
I've recovered this partition before from worse. ;-)

Another package that our discussions seem to point at a reason for
forking is busybox.
Debian ships busybox with mdev and docs showing how to configure it, but
there's no mdev package. I'm thinking there could be a package that
installs /etc/init.d/mdev, /etc/mdev.conf, and the needed
/sbin/mdev=>../bin/busybox symlink.
Also, packages for busybox init and the bsdutils equivalents would be
nice...
I'm not sure how to handle the fact that busybox inittab is incompatible
with sysvinit besides a conflict; yes, we could install them as
alternatives, but then /sbin/init must be in sync with /etc/inittab.

(I'd be willing to maintain busybox, if those changes are acceptable.
I'm not sure I qualify to maintain anything, though--I live in Northern
California, have never met anyone on the web of trust, and it's a pretty
long trip to get to the Bay Area...the only thing I can point at is
what I've put on github.)

Thanks,
Isaac Dunham